September 01, 2022
Red Barrels is hiring a Animation Technical Director
Red Barrels is looking for an Animator Technical Director who is focused on innovation, and team collaboration and is action-oriented. We are looking for someone who is interested in creating and supporting efficient pipelines, an individual who can make sure that things keep moving. This role would see you working closely with our animation, programming, and character team to bring The Outlast Trials to life.
Description of the role:
- Collaborate with other core team members to develop the overall vision and determine technical feasibility.
- Review game design concepts and identify and analyze risks (engine, memory, frame rate, etc.).
- Work closely with programmers to assess existing animation and rigging tools, occasionally design custom ones to improve pipelines.
- Support Animators, Character Artists, and Game Designers with their technical needs. Provide information and constructively explain the root causes of risks, blockers, etc.
- Train team members on any new processes regarding tools and techniques, and provide general support as needed.
- Resolve complex issues and make technical validations
- Work with outside contractors to ensure proper data delivery and communicate the technical needs of the production.
- Anticipate technological advancements and stay up to date on market and industry trends.
- Identify problems and opportunities, and brainstorm to identify interesting solutions.
- At least 5 and more years of game production experience as an animator, technical animator or an animation fluent programmer.
- Preferably one or more completed development cycles as part of an animation team.
- A thorough understanding of production pipelines, capacities, and technical constraints related to different game engines.
- Extensive knowledge of Unreal Engine and 3D software (e.g. 3DS Max, Maya)
- An understanding of scripting languages (e.g. C++, Python, Melscript) is an asset.
- Familiarity with bug tracking software (e.g. Jira) and version management systems (e.g. Perforce)
- We need the candidate to be comfortable with using horror elements and all that the genre entails (nudity, gore, “mature” visual research material).
- Ability to communicate in both French and English (spoken and written).
- You are proactive and can excel while working autonomously.
- Strong interpersonal skills and excited about creative collaboration, both within your team and as part of the larger RB Team
- You are looking for an environment where you can have a wide range of responsibilities and you are interested in approaching things differently.
At Red Barrels all team members share in the advantages, including a highly competitive salary, access to bonuses (project-based and yearly profitability), flexible time management and hybrid working arrangements, group insurance, and wellness account, group RRSP, and 6 weeks’ vacation (from hiring!). Our studio is located in Montreal.
Interesting in being a part of the RB Team? Please send your resume and portfolio information to [email protected] and indicate “TECHNICAL ANIMATION DIRECTOR” in the subject line. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
Red Barrels believe all voices, identities, skills, and experiences make our studio stronger and make better games. If you require a work permit, your eligibility may depend on specific government requirements.
To learn more about the creation of the Outlast Universe, please check out this article written by Philippe Morin, one of our co-founders.
You can watch our most recent game trailer here.