May 02, 2022
Red Barrels is hiring a Senior Level Designer
Red Barrels is looking for a Senior Level Designer with a passion for creating immersive and engaging gameplay experiences. Working alongside our design team, the Level Designer will help implement the overall vision for the levels of The Outlast Trials.
Description of the role:
- Use creative vision to understand and develop a level’s role in the overall experience of the game.
- Prototype the environment, establish the layout and propose the use of interactive and non-interactive means to create the desired emotion for the player
- Work closely with the art and design teams to create and perfect the game experience
- Master the scripts to orchestrate the events of the levels.
- Integrate as the project progresses all the elements produced on the map (new gameplay, AI, sound…)
- Control the accessibility, comprehension, and the difficulty level of the level
- Correct the level design bugs entered in the database by the QA team
- 5+ years of experience as a Level Designer in the video game industry.
- Preferably one or more completed development cycles as a Level Designer.
- Experience using Unreal Engine, 3DS Max, and familiarity with bug tracking software (e.g. Jira)
- Knowledgeable of current trends in gameplay and game systems
- Understanding French and English (Oral and written) is an asset
- We need the candidate to be comfortable with using horror elements and all that the genre entails (nudity, gore, “mature” visual research material)
- Strong interpersonal skills and excited about creative collaboration, both within your team and as part of the larger RB Team
- You are proactive and can excel while working autonomously.
- You are comfortable communicating your vision to others.
- You are looking for an environment where you can have a wide range of responsibilities and you are interested in approaching things differently.
At Red Barrels all team members share in the advantages, including a highly competitive salary, access to bonuses (project-based and yearly profitability), flexible time management and hybrid working arrangements, group insurance, and wellness account, group RRSP, and 6 weeks’ vacation (from hiring!). Our studio is located in Montreal.
Interesting in being a part of the RB Team? Please send your resume and portfolio information to [email protected] and indicate “SR.LEVEL DESIGNER” in the subject line. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
Red Barrels believe all voices, identities, skills, and experiences make our studio stronger and make better games. If you require a work permit, your eligibility may depend on specific government requirements.
To learn more about the creation of the Outlast Universe, please check out this article written by Philippe Morin, one of our co-founders.
You can watch our most recent game trailer here.