May 02, 2022
Red Barrels is Hiring a Senior Game Designer
Red Barrels is looking for a Senior Game Designer who brings a high level of creativity and innovation to their work. We are looking for someone who is interested in doing things differently and thrives in a cross studio collaborative environment. This role would see you working closely with our design team to continue to bring The Outlast Trials to life.
Description of the role:
- Participate in the development and evolution of creative projects.
- Collaborate on the theme, mechanics, story, and overall fun factor of the game.
- Implement, balance, and polish gameplay mechanics, and enhance their development with other teams throughout production.
- Write and maintain design documentation and iterate on existing systems to make them shine.
- Work iteratively with the Level Designers to ensure all game mechanics are being showcased and that all game elements are implemented as intended.
- Work and cooperate with all other services in game development (audio, art, animation, code, marketing, community, etc) to ensure every game element supports the design and smooth implementation of that design.
- Identify problems and opportunities, brainstorm to identify interesting solutions
- 5 years of experience in a game designer position
- Preferably one or more completed development cycles as a game designer.
- Knowledgeable of current trends in gameplay and game systems
- Knowledge of Unreal 4 is an asset
- Understanding French and English (Oral and written) is an asset
- We need the candidate to be comfortable with using horror elements and all that the genre entails (nudity, gore, “mature” visual research material)
- Strong interpersonal skills and excited about creative collaboration, both within your team and as part of the larger RB Team
- You are proactive and can excel while working autonomously.
- You are comfortable communicating your vision to others. Experience in positions of leadership is a plus.
- You are looking for an environment where you can have a wide range of responsibilities and you are interested in approaching things differently.
At Red Barrels, all team members share in the advantages, including a highly competitive salary, access to bonuses (project-based and yearly profitability), flexible time management and hybrid working arrangements, group insurance, and wellness account, group RRSP, and 6 weeks’ vacation (from hiring!). Our studio is located in Montreal.
Interesting in being a part of the RB Team? Please send your resume and portfolio information to [email protected] and indicate “SR. GAME DESIGNER” in the subject line. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
Red Barrels believe all voices, identities, skills, and experiences make our studio stronger and make better games. If you require a work permit, your eligibility may depend on specific government requirements.
To learn more about the creation of the Outlast Universe, please check out this article written by Philippe Morin, one of our co-founders.
You can watch our most recent game trailer here.