October 27, 2021
Red Barrels is hiring a Game Designer
Red Barrels is looking for an experienced Game Designer who brings a high level of creativity and innovation to their work. We are looking for someone who is interested in doing things differently and thrives in a cross studio collaborative environment. This role would have you working closely with our design team to continue to bring The Outlast Trials to life.
Description of the role:
- Participate in the development and evolution of creative projects.
- Collaborate on the theme, mechanics, story, and overall fun factor of the game.
- Implement, balance, and polish gameplay mechanics, and enhance their development with other teams throughout production.
- Write and maintain design documentation and iterate on existing systems to make them shine.
- Work iteratively with the Level Designers to ensure all game mechanics are being showcased and that all game elements are implemented as intended.
- Work and cooperate with all other services in game development (audio, art, animation, code, marketing, community, etc) to ensure every game element supports the design and smooth implementation of that design.
- Identify problems and opportunities, brainstorm to identify interesting solutions
- 2-5 years of experience in a game designer position
- Preferably one completed development cycle as a game designer.
- Knowledgeable of current trends in gameplay and game systems
- Knowledge of Unreal 4 is an asset
- Understanding of French and English (Oral and written) is an asset
- We need the candidate to be comfortable with using horror elements and all that the genre entails (nudity, gore, “mature” visual research material)
- You are proactive and can excel while working autonomously.
- You are comfortable communicating your vision to others.
- You are looking for an environment where you can have a wide range of responsibilities and you are interested in approaching things differently.
Red Barrels offers a highly competitive salary and bonus structure, a group RRSP program (after 1 year of service), group insurance, flexible time management, and more. Our studio is located in Montreal.
Interesting in being a part of the RB Team? Please send your resume and portfolio information to [email protected] and indicate “GAME DESIGNER” in the subject line. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about the creation of the Outlast Universe, please check out this article written by Philippe Morin, one of our co-founders.
You can watch our most recent game trailer here.