Forums

Sign in Register
Foinikas
Foinikas
Participant

The extreme vulgarity?A fan's complaint

April 30, 2017 at 6:01 am

First of all let me say that I’ve been a very big supporter of Red barrels,I’ve often expressed it on the FB group and Outlast 1 is simply one of my most favorite horror games ever.
But I’ve been wondering,was all that extreme vulgarity necessary?Yes,I understand the game is a hardcore horror title for mature audiences,but sometimes it seemed as if you are trying way too hard to impress with all the nasty language.

However,that’s not my complaint actually.What bothered me and made me actually come here and sign up and post this thread was the repeated “f****** Christ” phrases in the game.So far,I’m at the point where I’ve restarted the generator and that phrase has been said out loud in the game 3 times.
Yes,I know,it’s a horror game,yes I know,themes of shocking cult murderers and twisted heretics are the focus of it.
But you have to see it from the point of the fans as well.I am sure most people in USA or Canada or Europe too won’t have any problem with it and will probably think I’m overreacting,but for some of us this is extremely blasphemous.
Just think about it: I’m playing the game,I’m immersed in its spooky world,everything is perfect and suddenly there comes a “oh my f****** Christ!” and the mood is gone,sour expression in my face and I’m pissed off.
Why?Was that REALLY necessary?You have to consider not everyone is atheist or agnostic.And frankly,I’m ok with all the rest of the vulgarity personally(though much of it did seem pretentious and ridiculous),but this is extremely blasphemous and annoying for a christian,even a big sinner like me.
I LOVE your games,I LOVE your passion for them,but darn it,you gotta be a bit more tactful there.I just wish you could patch this up somehow,if you’re willing.

• This topic was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by Foinikas Foinikas.

• cody
    Participant
    May 6, 2017 at 5:19 pm

The problem is that the next person will say that they should not show or imply violence against children because it’s distasteful or worse encouraging it. Then someone else will say the game is extremely sexist (actually they already do). The next person will complain about the sexual content. The next about the gore. The next will say that it portrays multinationals as inherently evil entities. Or journalists as morons who won’t put their cameras down even when their life is in danger. You get the idea.

• Leichtfus
    Participant
    May 9, 2017 at 1:57 pm

yeah, this is your personal problem. Sorry if you can’t like Outlast because of the language, but the rest of us is OK with it. Outlast is not saying, that we all should “f*** Christendom”, it says that there exist a few people who say: “f*** Christendom”. Be able to tell the difference and to not feel hurt when you see a differen opinion. Also F*** tactfulness.

• cody
    Participant
    May 10, 2017 at 9:41 pm

It’s not even saying that. It’s saying “here’s a bunch of people going crazy, this is what happens then”. That being said, and even though I have absolutely no problems with the themes or the language, there are certain things that were used soo much that for me it broke immersion.

• abele2017
    Participant
    May 22, 2017 at 11:43 pm

yeah, this is your personal problem!
    bullet force

• badkingweedahx
    badkingweedahx
    Participant
    July 13, 2017 at 11:24 am

It’s a Murkoff Report story

https://www.wattpad.com/user/badkingweedahx

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Date of birth

MONTH
DAY
YEAR
NOT ALLOWED
ENTER
Red Barrels Games